Home International Students Exchanges to UVic UVic Students On Exchange Study Abroad Buddy Program  

Employment Questions

If you are studying at UVic for one term only, you are not eligible to work in Canada. However, exchange students coming to UVic for one term who apply for and receive a Study Permit are eligible to work part-time on campus only. If you are studying at UVic for two terms and have a valid study permit, then you are eligible to apply for on campus jobs as well.  Exchange students are not eligible to work off campus. These are the most common employment questions we hear from international exchange students:


If you have questions or need assistance, please contact your IESS Exchange Advisor.

What are the regulations for employment and volunteering?

The immigration regulations that allow for international and exchange student employment can be found on the Work Opportunities webpage. The immigration regulations that allow for international and exchange student volunteering can be found on the Volunteer Work webpage. Read these regulations carefully, and do not work without the proper authorization. If you do, you may be asked to leave Canada.

Where do I find out about employment opportunities?

Employment opportunities are available on campus, but students who want to work must find their own jobs. Visit the Career Services website for assistance with career planning and work search. Other on-campus work opportunities may be available in the Student Union Building. See the UVSS Employment Opportunities website for details.

Some on campus jobs are work study positions. The work study program is open to all students who can show financial need. Visit the Work Study Program website for more information.

How do I get a Social Insurance Number?

To receive payment for work in Canada, you must have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN). In order to apply for a SIN, you need an offer of employment for an on campus job. Detailed instructions and application kits are available on the Service Canada website.

Do I need to file a Canadian income tax return?

In the Canadian tax system, each individual is responsible for assessing whether or not they must file an income tax return. The Canadian tax system is based on residency and not citizenship, so most international students who receive Canadian income are required to complete and file an annual income tax return. Income tax returns covering the previous year must be filed by April 30. For more information, please visit the Canada Revenue Agency website.

Back to Navigation
TopTop of Page